Wednesday 6 March 2013

Esperance to Streaky Bay

After three days of riding in the rain brought into the south by Hurricane Rusty from Port Hedland I was getting just a little frustrated with my boots which over the last couple of years seemed to have lost their ability to remain waterproof. But things got better. From Norseman onwards the sun was out again, my things were gradually drying off and I actually enjoyed camping again.

Going across the Nullarbor Plain was tiring. There are fuel stops with inflated petrol prices every 150kms or so which were always a welcome sight. Not because of the petrol so much but I found myself counting the kilometres just so that I can seek refuge in a shade and give my numb bum a break. It was at these stops and campsites where I got to meet other travellers going the same way.
At the end of 2 days riding through nothing but one seemingly endless straight road across an almost treeless flat landscape I was glad to see some mild hills and looked forward to reaching the coast. Unfortunately my clutch cable snapped at a fuel stop. It was early evening and I had a spare so it was no big deal. But those of you who know something about Australian flies will understand how irritating they can be at the end of a day wearing sweaty motorbike gear. After the repair I arrived at Streaky Bay just before darkness and met some of the individuals I have been meeting at campsites and fuel stops. They were just as tired and glad that the Nullarbor was behind us which called for a day of rest, food and beer...

We all went different ways this morning. Except for Marinus, a biker from Norway who I met again on the ferry from Lucky Bay to Wallaroo. Looks like we'll camp out together again when we reach the shore tonight. Tomorrow we hit Adelaide.

I'll try add some photos of the Nullarbor when I get to a computer.







2 comments:

  1. Streaky Bay looks gorgeous. I shared your blog on FB. Didn't go to PCYC at all last week! Enjoy the Great Ocean Road :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are now -2 days!!! and if this keeps on going it will become a lot more than that!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete